THE ST. JOHNS HERALD                                                                       February 17, 1887


     From letters received in this place there is a state of affairs, at present existing in Springerville, bordering on anarchy.

     Horse stealing in that vicinity has been on the increase lately, to an alarming extent.  Some persons having stolen three or four horses there a short time ago, continued their journey toward the New Mexico line, stealing as they went, until they struck the ranch of the Wright Bros., where they thought to make a good haul.

    They started to drive off some 12 or 14 head, we are informed, from these gentlemen, who were unwilling that their property should be so appropriated without their consent, followed them up, overtook them, and had a shooting scrape with them, in which no one was hurt.

     The rustlers thinking evidently that that portion of the country was becoming rather unhealthy, took the back track--one of the Wrights, with some Mexicans, with an Indian for trailer in close pursuit.  They pushed the rustlers so hard that the horses on which they were mounted were about done for when they reached the neighborhood of Springerville.

     It is charged that the Graham boys provided them with a fresh mount, which enabled them to elude their pursuers.  On this charge the Grahams were arrested and brought to Springerville and gave bonds.  We are informed that the Grahams and their friends are now walking the streets of that town, threatening vengeance on all who took an active part in following the thieves, and afterward in having them arrested.

     It is time our citizens were learning that there is law by which all communities are governed, and that it is best and safest to let that law take its course.

THE ST. JOHNS HERALD                                                                       March 3, 1887


     There were indictments found against George and Bill Graham, and warrants placed in the hands of Sheriff Owens for their arrest.

    They must have been warned of the fact, however, by the underground telegraph, for when the Sheriff got to their place, he found a notice on the door that they had taken their departure for parts unknown. On inquiry he found they had been gone some four or five days.

From Jack Becker's Collection